A page that is compiled of typical questions. Don’t see yours here? E-mail it to us! You can even write to us, if you prefer.


What is the amount of MGHA dues, and what do they cover?

The current annual dues are $40.00 yearly. This amount is collected bi-annually, each payment totaling $98.00.  This amount includes maintenance fees (lawn services, MGHA events, insurance, liability bond, repairs, mailings, websites, etc.) and rubbish services (trash, compost, recycling).

What is the story behind “www.meadowbrookglens.net”?

“Meadowbrookglens.net” is the commercial website of a realtor and Meadowbrook Glens resident. The official website of MGHA and the Meadowbrook Glens subdivision is MGHA.ORG. If you have any additional questions regarding the site in question, we encourage you to contact its owner.

I own a business and I take my trash to work. Why do I still have to pay for rubbish, if I don’t use the service?

When MGHA negotiated the current rubbish contract, the great price we received was dependant on the usage and payment by all 475 homes. After many discussions, it was deemed more fair to have each home pay their equal share, versus having the others homes subsidize the amounts unpaid. Please keep in mind, this payment equals just $15.50 per month. We encourage you to use the service, being that you are paying for it.

What is this website costing the homeowners of Meadowbrook Glens?

The per household cost for MGHA.ORG is ¢. This cost associated covers the hosting fee and domain registration. The website editor is currently doing the design and support of the site at no charge to Meadowbrook Glens or its homeowners.

Why do we have an association if we pay city taxes?

The city of Novi, currently, does not offer trash removal services. Historically this has been a utility controlled by the local neighborhood associations. By being part of an association, we are privileged to receive volume discounting and our rubbish/compost removal agreement is an example of that. The board in the past has received quotes on Trash Removal. The amounts of the quotes were more than double that of what we pay today. Did you know that 81% of our annual dues ($ per month) cover the cost of trash and compost removal? That’s right, only 19% is left to cover items such as lawn service of common areas, liability insurance, mailings, utility costs, special events, etc. An association is more than a body that collect money. It is a group of people working hard to better the neighborhood we live in, while allowing us all the opportunity to raise our families in a safe place.

Does the City of Novi have a document that describes my responsibilities as a homeowner within Novi?

Yes they do! The document is entitled, “Homeowner’s Manual”, and it can be found by clicking the link. Please keep in mind that the document is a “.PDF” file, requiring Adobe Acrobat for viewing.

If I want to put a shed in my yard, what is required of me?

Within the MGHA by-laws there are no restriction on sheds, yet the city requires the homeowner to acquire the proper permit(s). The city has a document entitled, “SHED & DETACHED GARAGE REQUIREMENTS”. This document explains in detail what is needed by the homeowner. One of the requirements is that the shed be approved by both your neighbors and the Association. Contact Neighborhood Service at 248-347-0437 for more information.

This summer we are looking to add a sunroom (an addition) onto our home. Who needs to approve such a project?

The first step in the process is to contact the City of Novi, making them aware of your project (see next question). Once you have done this, the city will ask you to notify each of your neighbors, making them aware of your intent and plans. After you talk with your neighbors, ask them to sign the plans, denoting their approval for the project. Finally, you should contact the MGHA Board for final authorization and signatures. This could be a lengthy process, so please make sure you start the process early, so it doesn’t delay your project’s timing.

We are looking to do some work on our home this year. Who do I contact about Code Compliance and such?

Before starting a project, it makes sense to contact the City of Novi’s Neighborhood Services. They can tell you what is required so that your project is within the scope of compliance. Some projects require “permits”, so call before you start the work. This will save you a lot of added aggravation, later. Neighborhood Service: 248-347-0437; Code Compliance Questions: 248-347-0415

I want to connect my sump pump to the street drains that were recently installed by the city. Do you know the size of the pipe and how deep the pipe is within the ground?

Per JCK Inc., the contractor hired by the city to do the work, the pipe is 2″ PVC, located about 3.5′ down. The pipe’s opening is located on the house-side of the newly poured sidewalk pad.

Our driveway is in need of repair, and I was wondering if I had the choice of using materials other than concrete?

There is nothing dictated in the MGHA By Laws or the City of Novi Homeowner’s Manual regarding the selection of materials (e.g. concrete, blacktop, pavers, cobble stones, etc,). It seems you are free to use what you want, assuming it is consistent with “community standards”.

My family is moving out of the subdivision and the title company needs a letter stating that we are “current” on all due payments. Who do I contact to get this letter?

Please click here for details regarding the process of obtaining the required letter.

My Neighbor has a dog that is constantly barking. What can I do?

As you know, dogs are a realistic part of living in a subdivision. If you feel that the barking is excessive, we recommend that you approach your neighbor letting them know of your feelings. If you feel uncomfortable approaching your neighbor, let us know. We will be happy to work as a mediator to resolve the issue. If in the end nothing is resolved, then the police department is more than willing to get involved.

Is there an allotted time when I can mow my lawn?

The only requirement noted in the City of Novi Homeowner’s Manual is that all noises prior to 10:00pm shall not exceed 60 decibels. Being that an average lawn mower operates around 80 decibels, it comes down to a question of common courtesy. We recommend that you mow your lawn between the hours of 9:00am and 7:00pm, out of respect for your neighbors. Want to hear something interesting? A crying baby can exceed 110 decibels.

Am I allowed to shovel snow into the street, from my drive way? It seems fair being the snow was placed there by the plow clearing the streets.

Although it seems fair, depositing of snow (ice, slush) into city streets is unlawful. For more information, refer to page 34 of the City of Novi Homeowner Manual.

Why doesn’t the City of Novi pick up our trash?

Historically, the City of Novi has allowed subdivision associations to contract their own trash removal services. Many people fear that if the city takes control of the issue, that the tax increase to cover such a service would exceed the actual cost of the service. We as an association, along with the other 69 associations within Novi, negotiate as a larger group with rubbish removal companies ensuring best available pricing. Our interest, like yours, is to pay as little as possible while getting adequate service. If you have any questions or concerns about this issues, please contact us.

What can and can’t I throw away in the trash?

For the most part, you are able to throw just about anything away except items like: Motor Oil, Fuels, Paints, and any other toxic chemical. Items like appliances must have their doors removed, and if it is a refrigerator or freezer, the Freon must also be removed. To get an idea of the types of items excepted for recycling and the proper way to use the compost service, click here.

I just moved to the subdivision and I would like to get involved with the association. Who should I contact?

Feel free to contact any board member. He or she can & will notify you of upcoming events as well as committees that are looking for help. This is a great way to make new friends while bettering the community. ALSO contact us so we can get you a new member packet in the mail.

Who’s responsibility is it for upkeep of the sidewalks in front of your home? The homeowner or the city?

According to the city of Novi the homeowner is responsible for the replacement or upkeep of the sidewalk.

For Sidewalk repair homeowner can contact the City Department of Public Works and either they or a contractor of
their choice will come out and repair. The homeowner is then billed directly.

If there are damages to the curbs in the sub what should we do?

Contact City Department of Public Works at 248.735.5640 of Novi and they will schedule the repair and report the location for them.

Comments are closed.